Advantages of Solar Energy
Human civilizations have attempted to harness the power of the sun’s immense energy for thousands of years. In the modern world there are many technological options that allow us to capture the sun’s energy and convert it into usable electricity in our homes. Solar energy is a renewable energy source meaning that it can be continuously recycled and reused. There are solar power pros and cons however the benefits of solar power do outweigh the disadvantages of solar energy making it an excellent source of renewable energy worth considering. Let’s consider some of the benefits of solar energy.
How Solar Energy Works
The sun produces radiant energy through the nuclear fusion reaction that continually take place on the sun’s surface. This energy reaches the earth in a form that we call photons. A photon can travel from the sun to the earth in about eight and a half minutes. This energy is absorbed by the earth’s atmosphere, oceans and plant life. Modern technology has developed the solar photovoltaic cell which absorb and convert the radiant energy into a usable energy form such as electricity or heat. Groups of these cells are interconnected in what is called a photovoltaic array. These arrays function like a battery storing the energy and then sending it to the power grid as a direct current (DC current). A DC disconnect switch is then connected to an inverter which converts the DC current into an alternating current (AC current) which is what is commonly used in households today. And that is basically how solar energy works with our current technology.
Solar Energy Facts
1. Solar energy will save you money. Solar energy harnessed from photovoltaic (PV) solar panels is free. There is an initial cost to purchase and install the solar system, but after that there is no cost to the user.
2. There are government based incentive programs available that will cover up to half the cost of your solar energy system. These incentive programs and tax credits will help lower the costs of your investment and make it a more viable option for you as a consumer.
3. Solar power is a reliable energy option. Solar energy panel systems are made well and provide reliable and continuous power. This is due to the fact that they can store the energy more efficiently and there are backup battery systems.
4. Another one of the solar energy advantages is that it is a renewable energy source. This simply means that it won’t run out. Non-renewable energy sources such as fossil fuels are consumed, converted into energy and then they are gone.
5. Solar power is an environmentally friendly green energy source. This means that it is a clean energy source that does not contaminate the environment.
6. Solar energy is self-reliant and self-running. Once a solar panel system is up and running there is virtually no maintenance required. You simply enjoy the benefits.
7. Utility companies buy unused solar energy stored by your system. If your system stores more energy than you consume you can sell that unused energy to your local power company. This is a great way to get a return on your investment.
8. There are an abundance of solar powered systems commercially available today. In today’s business world a little competition is healthy and produces continued growth. It also gives the consumer many options to consider. There are many great solar panel systems available for consideration.
9. Solar energy technology continues to improve rapidly every year. This means better systems at cheaper prices generating more savings for the customer.
10. The greatest disadvantage to solar power is the initial upfront cost you have to pay. Purchasing a solar powered panel system to generate your own electricity will cost you ten of thousands of dollars. There are options however to greatly reduce this cost. You might consider building your own DIY solar panels, which can be built for around $200 per panel.
With gas prices continuously on the rise coupled with depleting fossil fuel sources, it behooves each and every one of us to look for new ways to get our energy. Solar energy power provides one of those options and with all the solar energy advantages that there are it is most certainly an energy source that merits genuine consideration. So what are you waiting for? In the long run I believe you will thank yourself for it.
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 262144 bytes) in /home3/cbarker/public_html/globalgreenforce.com/wp-includes/cache.php on line 505